Electric Lineworkers Honored on Statewide Appreciation Day
FMPA supports Florida’s municipal lineworkers year-round with services, forums
ORLANDO, Fla., Aug. 26, 2013 – Florida’s electric lineworkers are being honored today through the second annual Lineworker Appreciation Day for dedicated service in dangerous and sometimes difficult conditions.
The Florida House of Representatives voted in 2012 to designate Aug. 26 as the annual “Lineworker Appreciation Day” to honor the thousands of men and women who risk their lives every day to ensure the reliable delivery of electricity.
“Electric lineworkers are true hometown heroes, giving their all every day to deliver the electricity we all depend on,” said Florida Municipal Power Agency (FMPA) General Manager and CEO Nicholas Guarriello. “At FMPA, we honor municipal lineworkers’ service year-round by offering training and forums to help them perform their jobs.”
FMPA serves locally owned electric utilities’ lineworkers with a variety of programs including:
- Monthly Safety Training: Monthly lineworker safety meetings are available through FMPA to participating members. Meetings are prepared and conducted by experienced utility safety professionals with outstanding credentials. The safety meetings are interactive and responsive to issues and questions that arise from the lineworkers’ daily experiences.
- Lineman’s Roundtable: This semi-annual meeting provides a forum for crews to exchange ideas on operating practices, safety, training, tools and equipment, and any other common issues. The roundtables provide lineworkers with the opportunity to share information and network with their peers from across the state.
- Groundman Certificate Program: The comprehensive Groundman Certification offers the opportunity to attain skills necessary to become an Apprentice Lineworker.
- Powerline Workers Apprenticeship Program: This three-year program is designed to enhance the knowledge and skills of lineworkers. The program is certified by the U.S. Department of Labor and includes several days per year of hands-on and classroom training events, over a three-year period, as well as self-study units and examinations.
- Advanced Lineworker Program: This program is designed to provide continued development for experienced lineworkers. The program consists of six modules provided over a three-year period and includes topics such as distribution system coordination and design, system grounding, power quality, accident investigation, storm restoration, distribution switching, metering and leadership.
- Sponsor of Florida Lineman Competition: FMPA sponsors the top prize for the annual Florida Lineman Competition. The competition’s top-rated apprentice and journeyman team each win travel expenses to attend the national lineworker’s competition.
# # #
Florida Municipal Power Agency (FMPA) is a wholesale power company owned by 31 municipal electric utilities. FMPA provides economies of scale in power generation and related services to support community-owned electric utilities. The members of FMPA serve approximately two million Floridians.