The Florida Auditor General performed an operational audit of FMPA that focused primarily on a 20-month period between October 2012 and June 2014.
During that audit period, FMPA had total expenses of nearly $1 billion for the Agency and its power supply projects. The multi-staff audit was conducted over the course of six months during which time the Auditor General’s staff was given unrestricted access to FMPA’s records and personnel.
On January 21, 2015, the Auditor General released its “preliminary and tentative” audit report. FMPA submitted its formal audit response to the Auditor General on February 20, 2015. Following that, FMPA and the Auditor General’s office took part in discussions over requested changes to the preliminary and tentative audit report and FMPA’s response. Those discussions continued up until the release of the final audit report on March 27, 2015.
Operational audits are conducted to identify areas in which an organization can improve its efficiency and effectiveness. FMPA takes this opportunity to improve very seriously. The below “Frequently Asked Questions” document, resources and news items outline ways in which FMPA has responded to this audit and taken action. It also provides important information about common industry practices among electric utilities.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Report: FMPA Audit Response Report (1/22/16)
- Report: FMPA Audit Response Report (11/24/15)
- Report: FMPA Audit Response Report (9/25/15)
- Report: FMPA Audit Response Report (7/29/15)
- Report: FMPA Audit Response Report (5/28/15)
- Report: Final Auditor General’s Report and FMPA’s Response (3/27/15)
- News Release: FMPA Completes Work on Audit Recommendations (1/22/16)
- News Release: Agency Completes Work on 10 out of 15 Audit Recommendations (9/24/15)
- News Release: Audit Response Makes Additional Progress (7/30/15)
- News Release: FMPA Receives Six Proposals for Management Consulting Services (7/2/15)
- News Release: Audit Response Progresses on Schedule (5/28/15)
- Fact Checking Vero Beach’s Pilar Turner (5/11/15)
- News Release: FMPA Responds to Auditor General’s Final Audit Report (3/27/15)
- Newspaper Column: TC Palm Op-ed Regarding the Audit from FMPA Board Chair Bill Conrad and FMPA Executive Committee Chair Howard McKinnon (3/14/15)
- News Release: FMPA Files Response to Operational Audit (2/20/15)
- News Release: FMPA Members Begin Process to Retain Management Consultant (2/19/15)
- News Release: FMPA Member Utilities Respond to Operational Audit (2/16/15)
- News Release: FMPA’s Comments on the Florida Auditor General’s Preliminary and Tentative Operational Audit of FMPA (1/21/15)